Thursday 13 June 2013

I will not let a Lego Man determine my happiness!

Stop it, Sparrow. The children might be affected by your face!

“We cannot help but wonder how the move from only positive faces to an increasing number of negative faces impacts on how children play.” While acknowledging that the expressions are realistic facial expressions, he said that pales in comparison to what negativity and conflict could mean to children.
“Instead of focusing on realistic expressions, it may be worthwhile to increase the variability of expressions,” Bartneck said. “A comic style expression is sufficient to convey a full spectrum of emotions and intensities.”
-          Dr. Christoph Bartneck, robot expert. University of Canterbury, NZ.



This study suggests that there is or could be a link between a child’s happiness or behavioural patterns and the facial expression of a yellow piece of plastic inspired by a beloved film character. Yes, robot expert, Dr. Christoph Bartneck made the news today for suggesting that it is indeed possible for the increasingly “upset facial expressions” of a Lego man to influence what negativity and conflict mean to children.

As a 90’s child, I was very much a part of the era of the Terminator action figures, Action Man, Jurassic Park, Die Hard, etc. Lego allowed us to build fighter jets and missiles with their grey pieces. We constantly made faux-gun noises with our mouths – pishaun,pishaun – as we battled our enemies. You talk of an increase in the idea of conflict due to these characters based on massively successful movie franchises? Wouldn’t your argument be a little less irritating if you focused on the movie plots themselves? Because what I understand from your findings is that you feel that there is an increase in the idea of good v evil and a rise in conflict plots due to the fact that even the good guys are not smiling? What you are telling me Christoph – do you mind if I call you Christoph, I feel like we are on first name basis already – is that due to the fact that Lego Jack Sparrow looks slightly grimaced, a child will therefore, be angry or upset, and furthermore, that this would reflect their playing patterns? Oh Christoph, Christoph, Christoph.... Seriously, dude?

I am quite amused that you spent as long as you did on this ‘research’ because this is a pile of hot shit. At what point do you stop looking at human interaction and immediate family influences and focus on plastic as a source of behavioural influence? Why did you think this was a good idea?



I played religiously with the action figures that my parents were nice enough to provide for my brother and me and not once did the look on Action Man or Hulk Hogan’s face influence my mood or behaviour towards life because THEY ARE TOYS. They are toys, Christoph, they are plastic and despite what you think, kids are not that dumb. The look on Harry Potter’s face as a yellow Lego toy bears no correlation to how a child plays. When in your study did a child admit to feeling a bit down because Harry Potter wasn’t smiling? Or to somehow recreating or creating a violent scene based on the toy’s facial expression? I had a terminator action figure, passed down to me by my brother when he moved on to big boy toys. This terminator doll was clad in leather, had an assault rifle in hand and had the side of his face ripped off exposing muscle and metal! He wasn’t smiling. It didn’t cause me to play more negatively, whether alone or with friends. It didn’t cause me to feel any type of way because I knew it was a toy. It was a toy based on a hit movie that I loved. Do you see my point Christoph? Do you see why this has been a wasted effort and a pointless study? Do you see?


This was my favourite toy for a long time... Analyse this!

Never mind, actual human influence on a child, never mind exposure to the wrong types of influencers in a child’s life...  We haven’t even gotten to the bottom of the violent video games debate. No. Never mind social influences, Lego... Lego is the problem. 

Girl bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment